Saturday, July 12, 2014
Summer has been busy, but I've been able to spend time with my kids and nurture their creative side. The girl has been exploring science with Steve Spangler and the boy has been diving into pool toy expression. He and his cousin needed one more friend in the pool for a game, so they built one (I think its name is Baby). My own sketchbook has suffered, with only smaller, quicker drawings of ideas I wanted to remember, but I finally got to change the colors of the walls in our house. Ah, the smell of fresh paint!
Friday, May 30, 2014
Saturday, May 24, 2014
Playing around with my new water brush and sketch box, exploring the theme for Illustration Friday. The sketch box was a gift that arrived for my birthday and I've been having fun with it, even though a bit tricky adjusting to the way the water flows through the brush. It's a very strange thing to not have to reach for the water jar to rinse and wet a color. It works well at the kitchen table, and at my desk. I can't wait to try it out in the field!
Koi Water Colors Pocket Field Sketch Box by Sakura.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Recently we visited a miniatures museum that I absolutely loved. I only wish we lived closer so I could go again! I cut up the brochure, added the entry stickers, made a mini book, and painted over some parts to bring it all together. I now have a fun page to remember a great trip!
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Monday, March 24, 2014
I have discovered in keeping an artist's journal, that there are some pages I just don't want to share with anyone. (Who really wants to see my terrible drawing about a dream of Johnny Depp as a college English tutor). But since creativity comes in all forms I will show you the project my daughter and I worked on today. Repairing Breyer horses. Some are hers and some are from my childhood. We've been playing around with this moldable plastic called InstaMorph and found it to be a lot of fun! This was one of the old horses from over 30 years ago who survived but was missing two feet and a tail. We rebuilt those parts out of plastic and glued them back on. It's a little tricky since it cools quickly, but a quick dip back in the hot water makes it pliable. Once the glue dries we'll try acrylics.